The Mac OS X Expert Challenge 2005.1
In April 2005, I hosted an online "challenge" that encompassed two partially overlapping areas of computer expertise:
- Operating System Internals
My goals for this endeavor were the following:
- Probe popular interest in system-level Mac OS X topics. Knowledge of such interest was (and remains) valuable to me as I was creating a book — the one whose accompanying web site you are reading — on such topics.
- Gauge the inquisitiveness and initiative of the Mac OS X community based on the kind of response generated.
- Use the outcome to roughly quantify Internet-wide Mac OS X expertise outside of Apple.
- Facilitate sharing of Mac OS X knowledge.
- At the very least, provide an interesting problem for some people to solve.
The following pages document the story of the challenge: